Last week I shared the first 5 reasons why I love Covenant Grove Church, the church I get to serve in as the Lead Pastor. Here are my next 5 reasons (again, not in any order):
- We can make mistakes. We make mistakes, and keep moving forward with God’s power! I am not talking about major moral collapses or anything, and we always work to give our best. But we don’t try to be perfect – we just try to be fully devoted in following Jesus, knowing we will make mistakes. We even once printed the bulletins upside down! And when I make a mistake as a pastor (yep, happens) I make sure that I genuinely apologize. I also love that we make a commitment to each other to only talk to the person we have a problem with.
- A heart for those outside the church. Over six years ago we made a commitment as a church plant to evangelism: we would share our faith with those outside the church. There was just one problem: none of us were really any good at it! This has been an adventure of being stretched, and obeying Jesus to live out His mission. Our church has a heart for people to know Jesus and experience His hope, love, and joy. We love to greet people, to listen, and to pray.
- Fun and creativity. We have a lot of fun! We have beach balls during church, food every week, sermons on zombies, lip sync battles, face painting, bounce houses, and more. This church believes that God made fun, and we love to live it out. I also love the creativity we have in our church – from graphic design, to painting, to creative carpentry, to coloring – we love to create with our Creator!
- Multi-generational. As a church plant, one of the best pieces of DNA we got from Modesto Covenant Church was being multi-generational. Even with 40 people in our Launch Team, we were multi-generational. Our older folks had a heart to reach the next generation, and were willing to not have everything “their way” in order to reach those not in church – especially those in their 20’s.
- I am loved for who I am. I am weird. Yes, I know this and I have come to terms with it! Graciously, this church plant has accepted me as their pastor, too. I get to dream up crazy ideas, preach the Word of God with conviction, have people love me and pray for me, and lead our church forward in the mission of God. And for this, along with so many other reasons, I am incredibly grateful. The experience of church planting, and being a part of Covenant Grove Church, has changed my life. I love this church!
So there are my 10 reasons.
What about you? Why do you love Covenant Grove, or your home church?